Cool recipes for warm weather
Take a trip to your local farmer’s market to find several of the ingredients in these recipes. Whether you’re looking for a light pick-me-up for your summer camper, a quick picnic meal, or a little something to take to the Independence Day family cookout, try one or all of these simple and delicious recipes suited for summer.
Lemon Ginger Apple Chips
1 Pound apples (pink lady)
2 Lemons, juice only
1 Tablespoon ginger juice
*If you want to add the chips to granola or trail mix, chop the rounds into smaller pieces.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Turn the apple on its side and slice the apple into 1/8 inch thick rounds. (The core will create a star; the seeds will fall out as the slice dries.)
- Repeat for all your apples.
- Put all the slices into a bowl and pour the lemon and ginger juices over the slices. Stir to ensure each slice is evenly coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay your apple slices out in a single layer. Place into oven and let apple slices dry for 2–3 hours or until the slices are crisp.
Strawberry Salad with Chicken
2 Large boneless, skinless chicken breasts – cubed
4 Tablespoons olive oil – divided 2 and 2
4 Tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing – divided 2 and 2
1 Bunch fresh spinach – rinsed, dried
1 Pint strawberries – sliced
4 Ounces crumbled goat or feta cheese
5 Ounces candied pecans (optional)
- Cook chicken breast in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Once cooked through, remove from heat and let cool.
- Place spinach in salad bowl.
- Add strawberries, goat cheese and candied pecans.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
- Top with chicken.
- Served slightly warm or chilled.
Independence Day Dessert Pizza
1 18-ounce package refrigerated sugar cookie dough (or your favorite cookie dough recipe)
8 Ounces whipped topping
½ Cup strawberries
½ Cup blueberries
½ Cup blackberries
½ Cup bananas
12 Inch pizza pan
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Press cookie dough into 12-inch pizza pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Spread whipped topping over cooled crust. Arrange fruit. Refrigerate until ready to serve.