Snooze-button and early-bird options
Snooze-button option: Homemade Freezer Breakfast Burritos
For those days that you, or your little, just can’t escape hitting the snooze button again. And again. And, hey, third time’s a charm—again, consider planning ahead so you can still have a well-balanced, energizing start!
20 TBS shredded cheese
12 large eggs
1 lb. turkey sausage, browned and fat drained
1 bell pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
- Chop the onion and bell pepper.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet, then drain off the fat. Put in a bowl to the side.
- Clean out the skillet, and cook the bell pepper and onion together. Add salt and pepper for taste. Put in another bowl to the side.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl, and then scramble in the same skillet.
- Lay out the tortillas on a flat surface, and add a tablespoon of cheese to each. Follow up with adding the pepper and onion, and then add the sausage and egg. I like to add a little Tabasco sauce on top for an extra kick.
- Fold up each burrito, place in a dish and put in the freezer for one hour.
- Remove from freezer and individually wrap each burrito in plastic wrap. Store the burritos in a freezer bag or container.
- Reheat individual burritos. Remove from plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel, and heat in the microwave for approximately 2 minutes at medium heat. Heating times may vary depending on your microwave.
* I like to add 1/4 cup of milk when mixing the eggs for extra fluffiness.
Early-bird option: Waffles with fresh fruit and yogurt
For the days that you have a little extra time in the mornings—you know, those rare occasions where the entire morning routine has flawlessly fallen into sequence—here’s another deliciously healthy breakfast option.
1 cup sliced strawberries (or fruit of your choice)
1 TBS sugar
2 cups creamy vanilla low-fat yogurt
2 TBS honey
4 whole-grain frozen waffles
- Stir together strawberries and sugar in medium bowl; let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Spoon yogurt into a bowl; stir in honey.
- Toast waffles according to package directions. Place 1 waffle on each of 4 plates. Top waffles evenly with yogurt mixture, and strawberries. Serve immediately.