Founded in January 2013, the Greater Ozarks Regional Breastfeeding Coalition is a collaborative group of lactation professionals, health workers and interested community members dedicated to promoting, supporting and protecting breastfeeding in our community. Representatives from Cox Health, Mercy-Springfield, Jordan Valley Community Health Center and the Springfield-Greene County Health Department work together to improve the health of our community by protecting, promoting and supporting breastfeeding as the normal method of infant nutrition. This is undertaken solely as a public health initiative to achieve optimal health, enhance child development and foster effective parenting.
Recent Breastfeeding Support
- Summer 2015: Breastfeeding Support from Dad’s and Mom’s Perspective
- Spring 2015: Natural Changes for Breastfeeding
- Winter 2014: A First Line of Defense
- Fall 2014: The Gold Standard for Infant Nutrition
‘Dr. Craig’ Rechkemmer earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery degrees from the University of Missouri, Kansas City in May 2002. He spent six years on the Tooth Truck providing dental care to at-risk children in the Springfield area. In 2008, Dr. Craig joined the Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock where he created a state-wide Dental Outreach program and provided care to children of all needs and abilities. After four years with the Children’s Hospital, he has returned to Springfield to create Little Grins Dental, where he continues to provide care to children in a warm and friendly environment.
Recent Dental Advice
- Winter 2013: Eight Ideas to Make Brushing Easy and Fun
- Fall 2013: Tooth Fairy Traditions
- Summer 2013: Five Foods for Oral Health
- Spring 2013: Little Grins, Lots of Love
Julie R. Durand, Owner & Principal Designer of Inspired Design by Julie, LLC, has over 16 years of experience in many facets of design. Her love of architectural details coupled with her creative ability to mix textures, patterns, and color creates an interior space that is inviting and timeless. As a mother of 5 children, Julie understands the challenges that families face and uses that understanding to create spaces that her clients grow with and enjoy for many years. She has a passion for working with people and takes pride in contributing to the community by giving back to multiple causes and organizations.
Recent Designer’s Corner
Glynis Nelson is the owner of Go Momma Fitness Springfield, which provides fitness classes for moms, such as Momilates, Stroller Moves and HIIT It. She holds prenatal and postnatal exercise certifications and is certified in group fitness by American Council on Exercise. Glynis resides in Springfield with her husband and four children.
Recent Fitness Fix
- Fall 2014: Making YOU a Priority!
- Summer 2014: Heating up your workout
- Spring 2014: Keep that Baby Bump Moving
- Winter 2013: Make a Plan for Healthy Holidays
Bobi is blessed with three precious daughters, ages 4 years to 7 years old. Among other things she is a malaria prevention, social justice and anti-racism activist who is on the board of Directors of Adoptive Families of SW Missouri. She enjoys creating community service educational programs in her community and partnering with communities in her children’s birth counties to support community-identified priorities such as malaria prevention and education, children education & sponsorships, and basic needs of clothing and shoes.
Recent Forever Family
- Fall 2014: Setting Priorities
- Summer 2014: Stranger Danger More Complicated for Forever Families
- Spring 2014: Respecting a past, building a future
- Winter 2013: Embracing Blended Holiday Traditions
From the Guidance Office
Shayne Brock, LPC, is a Professional School Counselor in the Nixa School District. She has been in the education and counseling field for 16 years.
Recent From the Guidance Office
- Summer 2015: Families & Fatherhood
- Spring 2015: Raising Compassionate Kids
- Winter 2014: Tips on Overcoming Stress
- Fall 2014: Stay Busy, Not Overwhelmed
Jackie Wedge has a bachelor’s degree in marketing from Missouri State University and likes to joke that she attended school to be a stay-at-home mom and homeschool her three boys. She is also involved at her church, where she volunteers and works in the Early Childhood Department. She has a heart for single moms and is the Children’s Program Director for SingleMomzRock. Visit her website, www.hopeineverything.com, dedicated to bringing hope to the hopeless through real life stories, including resources for military families and single moms.
Recent Homeschooling Families
- Summer 2015: A Dad’s Perspective on Homeschooling
- Spring 2015: Growing Pains
- Winter 2014: Be Informed: Homeschooling Laws
- Fall 2014: Simple Ways to Budget your Time and Money
Ms. Mahan’s Art Time
Jessica Mahan, an art teacher for the Republic School District, is also an area artist. Her artwork can be viewed at www.facebook.com/JessicaMahanArt
Recent Ms Mahan’s Art Time
- Winter 2013: Paint Swatch Snowmen
- Summer 2013: Symmetrical Alien Bugs
- Spring 2013: Starry, Starry City Night
Mrs. White Hearts Art
Jessica White is a K–5 art teacher for the Republic R-III School District. For more art project ideas, visit her blog at www.mrswhite-hearts-art.blogspot.com
Recent Mrs. White Hearts Art
- Summer 2015: Pop Art Popsicles
- Spring 2015: Hundertwasser Flowers
- Winter 2014: Radial Design Snowflakes
- Fall 2014: Symmetrical Monarchs
Cris Swaters is the communications coordinator at White River Valley Electric Co-op and a lover of extreme couponing, frugal living, social media and healthy home cooking. Get more tips and healthy eating recipes from Cris at www.purrfectportions.wordpress.com
Recent Thrifty Tips
- Winter 2014: Finding Interview Attire on a Tight Budget
- Winter 2013: Holiday Spending
- Summer 2015: Great Memories Without Great Expense
- Summer 2014: From your garden to your pantry