Skinny! Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Recipe by Gimme Some Oven. View the original recipe at www.gimmesomeoven.com
The winter weather is upon us, bringing with it the dreaded cold and flu season. In the middle of thinking about what new recipe I would share this issue, I caught a cold. Quite the coincidence, right? With a sore throat and stuffy nose, all I wanted to do was curl up on the couch and eat some warm, homemade chicken noodle soup. I immediately went to my favorite “go-to” recipe that I stumbled upon last winter on Pinterest. Little to say, this recipe has been a keeper in my book ever since. I hope this recipe warms you and your family as much as it has mine!
PREP: 5 mins
COOK: 30 mins
TOTAL: 35 mins
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced*
- 2 celery stalks, diced*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 8 cups chicken broth*
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles or pasta
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- (optional garnish) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Saute onion, carrots, and celery for 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables, cook and stir for another minute.
- Gradually stir in broth and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until noodles are al dente.
- Season with additional salt and pepper or seasonings if needed.
- Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley (if desired).
* I love my veggies, so I like to include an extra carrot and celery stalk. And if you don’t have chicken broth, you can also use eight cups of water with eight chicken bouillon cubes. – Stephanie Lindberg